From: "Cris J Holdorph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:01:28 PM GMT -07:00 U.S. Mountain Time (Arizona)
Subject: [uportal-dev] Property files in up3

Two of us (myself and Lennard Fuller) here at Unicon have both
separately found out the hard way, that property files in up3 are
packaged up in a jar file.

I was wondering what the theory for that is.  As both a developer and
system deployer, I find this needlessly painful.  It's a lot easier if
the file is unarchived and can be modified directly, without having to
unjar the files and remove the jar file first.

Lennard, actually discovered that the jar file access was taking a fair
amount of CPU time as well.  Is there some benefit to the property files
being in a jar file, that I'm overlooking.  All I can see, at the moment
are several downsides, and would like to know if we can switch back to
non-jarred propety files.

Also, I think it would be useful, if we could look into a facility
similar to Sakai's sakai.properties file, where you can potentially
override properties without having to modify the original file at all.

Anyone who has had to maintain propeties on a per machine basis will
know the value of having a 'machine specific' properties file, that
overrides the defaults for the 'generic system'.

---- Cris J H

--
You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]