Oops, meant to include this link:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_rewrite.html

If you want to go down the rewrite path, you'll find the good news / bad news captured nicely on that page. In short the good news is that there are about a million options. The bad news, well you can guess what that is. There's even something in there with a test to see if a file with a certain name exists, for example. So you could create a file for each authorized user, set a flag to send back standard "Forbidden" replies, peek at the query string, and on and on.

Hopefully there is something at just the right level of obscurity in there for you...

Bob Sneidar wrote:
Just an FYI there are content filters that react to redirects as well. In this often cruel and unforgiving world it seems the use of redirects and proxies can wreak havoc with the things we use to protect ourselves. I am not sure what the solution is, but I can think of who to blame. ;-)

Good reminder, Bob.  Thanks.

I'm not necessarily set on using redirects. Really, any method by which I can protect a directory from most users while granting access to some would work for me, provided that whatever means I use can pass the login into in the URL. I'm even good with doing this in a CGI if only I could figure out the trick to protecting the directory....

--
Richard Gaskin
Fourth World