From: curry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Pardon the intrusion, but it may be worth noting that an unclickable
checkbox is a violation of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines and of
general UI design rules about user expectations. I'd respectfully
suggest some other way of indicating the user's connected state than a
checkbox he can't click on or change. I guarantee you'll have
frustrated and confused users.

<snip>>
However, about Apple--I can no longer consider them to be the ultimate example of good interface, as they were before.

Agreed, Curry, but what other consistent Guidelines are there? Micro$lot? ;-) the last time they had a great design was Excel 4.0.

I'm currently running NetScape 7.+ browser. It looks like it was designed but a gang of 14-year-old kids. Bizarre interface, non-intuitive operation. Tabs, sliders and what-nots all over the place... It's worth every cent I paid for it: $0.00.

The real beauty and strength of Apple was the GUI. Companies that followed the Apple HIGs gained a loyal following because the learning curve was tiny from App to App. They respected the users' time and the money spent. I probably own everything produced by Adobe.

I think we've had enough of the "good-enough" design attitude. More time and thought put into the HIG will reduce the coding and de-bug time.

Ray G. Miller
Turtlelips Productions
4009 Everett Ave.
Oakland, CA 94602