I've setup a launchpad project, team, and a PPA (https://launchpad.net/ppa) for
Cassandra packages on Ubuntu here:

https://launchpad.net/cassandra-packages
https://launchpad.net/~cassandra-ubuntu

This team is currently made up of a few members of the Ubuntu Server Team. We'd
like to appeal to you, the Cassandra Community, to help us test and maintain
these packages going forward. Hopefully, the effort to do so will be minimal.
The only delta we're maintaining there is to include the jar files needed to
repeat the build in the source package. Our hope is that somebody involved with
deploying and running Cassandra would like to help us maintain these packages,
and so would be added to the "cassandra-ubuntu" team, which has upload rights
directly to the PPA.

This is outside the normal releases and archives of Ubuntu. These aren't really
going to be supported like the rest of Ubuntu. Its provided mostly as a
convenience experiment to make it easier for Ubuntu users to utilize projects
like Cassandra that move quickly. With this PPA, the hope is that we can
provide a smooth upgrade path for users on older releases of Ubuntu without
subjecting the package to our usual stringent requirements.

We have also considered making a 'dailybuild' PPA so that users can add that
and run the latest build, which we've found with other projects helps with
confirming bug reports.

If you'd like to try it out, follow the instructions linked to here:

https://launchpad.net/~cassandra-ubuntu/+archive/stable

As that should help users find these packages quickly.

If anybody has feedback please feel free to contact me directly and/or file
bugs against the cassandra-packages project.

Thanks!

--
Clint Byrum
Ubuntu Server Team