I’m not sure about Datastax’s official stance but using the SSD backed
instances (ed. i2.2xl, c3.4xl etc) outperform the m2.2xl greatly. Also, since
Datastax is pro-ssd, I doubt they would still recommend to stay on magnetic
disks.

That said, I have benchmarked all the way up to the c3.8xl instances.  The most
IOPS I could get out of each node was around 4000-5000.  This seemed to be
because the context switching was preventing Cassandra from stressing the SSD
drives to their maximum of 40,000 IOPS.

Since the SSD backed EBS volumes offer up to 4000 IOPS, the speed of the disk
would not be an issue.  You would, however, still be sharing network resources,
so without a proper benchmark you would still be rolling the dice.

The best bang for the buck I’ve seen is the i2 instances.  They offer more
ephemeral disk space at less of a cost than the c3, albeit less cpu. We
currently use the i2.xlrg and they are working out great.