We already quantified it, the result is Scylla. Now, Scylla's performance is only in part due to the threading model, so I can't give you a number that quantifies how much just this aspect of the design is worth. Removing it (or adding it to Cassandra) is a multi-man-year effort that I can't justify for this conversation.

If you want to continue to use kernel threads for you applications, by all means continue to do so. They're the right choice for all but the most I/O intensive applications. But for these I/O intensive applications thread-per-core is the right choice, regardless of the points you raise.

I encourage you to study the seastar code base [1] and documentation [2] to see how we handled those problems. I'll also comment a bit below.

[1] https://github.com/scylladb/seastar

[2] http://www.seastar-project.org/