The yarn version of Giraph is quite finicky when it comes to detecting the
giraph jar. When it can't find the jar on the new containers you get that
exception.

After much experimentation I've had great success with the following
(substitute paths and filenames where needed):

HADOOP_CLASSPATH=/data/b.ajf/giraph hadoop jar /data/b.ajf/giraph/giraph.jar
org.apache.giraph.GiraphRunner
org.apache.giraph.examples.SimpleShortestPathsComputation -vip
/user/b.ajf/ssp_input -vif
org.apache.giraph.io.formats.JsonLongDoubleFloatDoubleVertexInputFormat -op
/user/b.ajf/ssp_output -vof
org.apache.giraph.io.formats.IdWithValueTextOutputFormat -yj giraph.jar

The argument supplied to -yj must be only the name of the jar (no
directories). The jar must be directly accessible from the current classpath
or subdirectories (but it doesn't work if you give the full path of the jar,
e.g, HADOOP_CLASSPATH=/data/b.ajf/giraph/giraph.jar).

Also, if you use giraph-examples-with-dependencies you don't need the other
one as the examples-with-dependencies already contain the core.

Cheers,
Alex