7, each node has a datanode and a tasktracker running on it. I attach the
full file here:

2014.03.07|10:13:17~/HadoopSetupTest/hadoop-1.2.1/conf>cat mapred-site.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- Put site-specific property overrides in this file. -->

<configuration>

<property>
  <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
  <value>compute-1-23:50331</value>
  <description>The host and port at which the MapReduce job tracker runs.
  If "local", then jobs are run in-process as a single map
  and reduce task.
  </description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.job.tracker.http.address</name>
  <value>0.0.0.0:50332</value>
  <description>The port at which the MapReduce task tracker runs.
  </description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.task.tracker.http.address</name>
  <value>0.0.0.0:50333</value>
  <description>The port at which the MapReduce task tracker runs.
  </description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum</name>
  <value>7</value>
  <description>The maximum number of map tasks that will run
  simultaneously by a task tracker.
  </description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum</name>
  <value>7</value>
  <description>The maximum number of reduce tasks that will run
  simultaneously by a task tracker.
  </description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.jobtracker.taskScheduler</name>
  <value>org.apache.hadoop.mapred.FairScheduler</value>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.fairscheduler.poolnameproperty</name>
  <value>pool.name</value>
  <description>pool name property can be specified in jobconf</description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.local.dir</name>
  <value>${hadoop.tmp.dir}/mapred/local</value>
  <description>The local directory where MapReduce stores intermediate
  data files.  May be a comma-separated list of
  directories on different devices in order to spread disk I/O.
  Directories that do not exist are ignored.
  </description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.system.dir</name>
  <value>${hadoop.tmp.dir}/system/mapred</value>
  <description>The shared directory where MapReduce stores control files.
  </description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.tasktracker.dns.interface</name>
  <value>default</value>
  <description>The name of the Network Interface from which a task
  tracker should report its IP address. (e.g. eth0)
  </description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.child.java.opts</name>
  <value>-Xmx3600m -XX:+UseParallelGC -mx1024m -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=10
-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=10</value>
  <description>Java opts for the task tracker child processes.
  The following symbol, if present, will be interpolated: @taskid@ is
replaced
  by current TaskID. Any other occurrences of '@' will go unchanged.
  For example, to enable verbose gc logging to a file named for the taskid
in
  /tmp and to set the heap maximum to be a gigabyte, pass a 'value' of:
        -Xmx1024m -verbose:gc -Xloggc:/tmp/@taskid@.gc
  The configuration variable mapred.child.ulimit can be used to control the
  maximum virtual memory of the child processes.
  </description>
</property>

<property>
    <name>mapred.job.reuse.jvm.num.tasks</name>
    <value>-1</value>
    <description>How many tasks to run per jvm. If set to -1, there is no
limit.</description>
</property>

<property>
    <name>mapred.job.tracker.handler.count</name>
    <value>40</value>
    <description>The number of server threads for the JobTracker. This
should be roughly 4% of the number of tasktracker nodes.</description>
</property>

<property>
    <name>mapred.jobtracker.maxtasks.per.job</name>
    <value>-1</value>
    <description>The maximum number of tasks for a single job. A value of
-1 indicates that there is no maximum.</description>
</property>

<property>
    <name>mapred.tasktracker.expiry.interval</name>
    <value>600000</value>
    <description>Time to wait get progress report from a task tracker so
that jobtracker decides the task is in progress. default is 1000*60*10 i.e.
10 minutes</description>
</property>

<property>
    <name>mapred.task.timeout</name>
    <value>0</value>
    <description>Time to wait get progress report from a task tracker so
that jobtracker decides the task is in progress. default is 1000*60*10 i.e.
10 minutes</description>
</property>

<property>
    <name>mapred.map.tasks.speculative.execution</name>
    <value>false</value>
    <description>set the speculative execution for map tasks</description>
</property>

<property>
    <name>mapred.reduce.tasks.speculative.execution</name>
    <value>false</value>
    <description>set the speculative execution for reduce
tasks</description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.hosts.exclude</name>
  <value>conf/excludes</value>
</property>

<property>
    <name>mapred.job.tracker.handler.count</name>
    <value>40</value>
</property>

</configuration>