Well, never mind.  The field authentication field started appearing.  I'd like
to tell you I changed a setting or something, but I didn't.  While I was
testing how other browsers displayed desktop, I tried Chrome again for
comparison.  And ... it worked fine.

I don't know what happened.  Or why it works now.

~ML