From: Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Thu, Jul 8, 2010 1:58 pm
Subject: About data locality (Was: Re: HBase on same boxes as HDFS Data nodes)

(changing the subject, let's not hijack threads)

> will the data move over time though...for example if i have lots of access to

data in DataNode A ? without the current work that is in progress..

HBase has no control on that, but data will be moved if those regions

are used. Like the article explains, the first replica goes to the

local node, so through compactions/flushes one replica of each block

will be on the local node.

Also keep in mind that the new datanode may already contain some

replicas of some of the blocks for that region, so it's not just black

and white. This is quite possible on a small cluster, but over 1k

nodes not that much ;)

J-D

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:51 AM,  <vramanatha...@aol.com> wrote:

>  Thankyou..

> I've some more questions

> I'm spending quite a bit over last few weeks to develop one of our

applications using HBase/Hadoop

> & using 0.20.4

> Hbase - Table X

> rows - 1- 100 -> Region A -> RegionServer A     --> DataNode A

> rows  1500 - 1600 -> Region M -> RegionServer B -> DataNode B

> So based on what I have read so far..I'm thinking of Region Server A & Data

Node A pairs on the same host to

> make use of locality..

> As per your answer ..If we restart the cluster, because of radom assigment,

locality is gone