StAck,

Just because FB does something doesn't mean its necessarily a good idea for
others to do the same.  FB designs specifically for their needs and their use
cases may not match those of others.

To your point though, I agree that Ted's number of 3 is more of a rule of thumb
and not a hard and fast number. I think that the wording in that section should
be changed.  (I may take a stab at it later today...)

In our HBase course, I teach an example of an Order entry system. (Order, Pick,
Ship, Invoice) There are 4 column families in that example. To your point, in
the use cases, the CFs are usually used in an atomic fashion. When I do a pick
slip, I don't need to constantly reference the order, except when I initially
create the Pick Slip(s).

The larger question in terms of design, should you use a CF to segment your
data if you're constantly pulling data from both CFs in your main use case, or
should they be part of the same table?

 -Mike