I don't think there's a CDH that includes Hadoop 1.2.1

So either your code is doing something slow or it's the reading itself. For
the latter, make sure you go through
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#perf.reading and we also recently had
this thread on the list were you can see some "live" performance debugging
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@hbase.apache.org/msg27174.html. For
example, make sure you're not running on the local job tracker.

J-D