The thread you pointed me to mentions they are automatically and
transparently decrypted  at runtime and I looked into the code to confirm,
it is indeed getting decrypted at runtime by findBy* methods by checking  if
field.getEncrypt() == true.

Also if you want to display the credit card number  back to the user
(editcreditcard.ftl does that) in order for them to modify or for whatever
other reasons, one needs decrypted field. Its another story that
editcreditcard.ftl and related code replaces all but last 4 digits with *
for security, but the # of digits (chars) returned will depend on the type
of card used. Encrypted chars are longer than the original cc #.