The CLI is the command line connection to SparkSQL and yes, SparkSQL replaces
Shark - there’s a great article by Reynold on the Databricks blog that provides
the context:
http://databricks.com/blog/2014/07/01/shark-spark-sql-hive-on-spark-and-the-future-of-sql-on-spark.html

As for SparkSQL and the Hive metastore, you should be able to connect to an
external metastore.  The hive-site.xml that you would utilize for Hive to
connect to its metastore (e.g. MySQL instance) would be available for SparkSQL
to connect.