I tried following test to see how network of brokers react to broker failure
and new broker discovery (bringing dead broker back) :

Based on following test I think ActiveMQ-5.0-SNAPSHOT is handling this
senario properly. Not sure abt 4.1.1.

2 store and forward brokers (B1, B2)
3 consumer (C1 connected to B1, C2 connected to B2, C3 not yet connected to
any broker)
1 Producer (P1 connected to B1 and producing 2000 msgs)

- While P1 was producing to B1, messages were being consumed by C1 and C2
equally (Store and forward working).
- Bringing down B2 caused C2 to throw exception and stop consuming,
meanwhile C1 continued consuming.
- Bringing back B2 and connecting C3 to B2, C3 also started consuming
messages. (New agent was located and msgs were forwarded to it as well).
- On totalling the number of times onMessage was called on each consumer,
total number was 2001, so there must have been a msg which C2 was consuming
when B2 was brought down and this msg was then redelivered by B1.