On Feb 14, 2008, at 12:41 AM, TBuckel wrote:

Hi all,

I am having trouble setting up a *stable* ActiveMQ Pure Master/Slave
topology.

Initially I have tried v4.1.1 which failed with an exception. I found an AMQ
JIRA ticket which said that Pure/Master slave didn't work in v4.1.1.

Ok, so I switched to AMQ 5.0.0, created 2 configs (master/slave, see end of message) and ran two AMQ instances (on the same box) and most of the times my test (see below) worked, but more often I get various error messages
like:

- On the slave:

ERROR Service                        - Async error occurred:
javax.jms.JMSException: Slave broker out of sync with master: Dispatched message (ID:tbuckel-desktop-41814-1202886136210-0:0:565:1:1) was not in the
pending list
javax.jms.JMSException: Slave broker out of sync with master: Dispatched message (ID:tbuckel-desktop-41814-1202886136210-0:0:565:1:1) was not in the
pending list
       at
org .apache .activemq .broker .region .PrefetchSubscription .processMessageDispatchNotification(PrefetchSubscription.java:160)
       at
org .apache .activemq .broker .region .AbstractRegion.processDispatchNotification(AbstractRegion.java:381)
       at
org .apache .activemq .broker .region.RegionBroker.processDispatchNotification(RegionBroker.java: 550)
       at
org .apache .activemq .broker.BrokerFilter.processDispatchNotification(BrokerFilter.java: 201)
       at
org .apache .activemq .broker.BrokerFilter.processDispatchNotification(BrokerFilter.java: 201)
       at
org .apache .activemq .broker.BrokerFilter.processDispatchNotification(BrokerFilter.java: 201)
       at
org .apache .activemq .broker .MutableBrokerFilter .processDispatchNotification(MutableBrokerFilter.java:211)
       at
org .apache .activemq .broker .TransportConnection .processMessageDispatchNotification(TransportConnection.java:450)
       at
org .apache .activemq .command .MessageDispatchNotification.visit(MessageDispatchNotification.java: 77)
       at
org .apache .activemq .broker.TransportConnection.service(TransportConnection.java:281)
       at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection $1.onCommand(TransportConnection.java:178)
       at
org .apache .activemq .transport.ResponseCorrelator.onCommand(ResponseCorrelator.java:100)
       at
org .apache .activemq.transport.TransportFilter.onCommand(TransportFilter.java:67)
       at
org .apache.activemq.transport.vm.VMTransport.iterate(VMTransport.java: 202)
       at
org .apache .activemq .thread.DedicatedTaskRunner.runTask(DedicatedTaskRunner.java:98)
       at
org.apache.activemq.thread.DedicatedTaskRunner $1.run(DedicatedTaskRunner.java:36)

- After having killed the master, stopped the slave, copied the slave's data into the master's data directory various error message came up (as described
in the Master/Slave recovery section),
e.g. (internal) ActiveMQ topics were not available, the admin webApp showed
exceptions and errors on the client.

The test I've created uses Spring 2.0.x and pumps 1000 MapMessages in a queue through Spring's JmsTempate, each message is created within its own
transaction, using JmsTransactionManager and TransactionTemplate.

The created messages are consumed by an initially instantiated transactional DefaultMessageListenerContainer. The AMQ JARs in the test's classpath are
activemq-core-5.0.0.jar, geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0.jar,
geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec-1.0.jar as I've noticed a really bad performance when only using the activemq-all-5.0.0.jar (maybe this is the problem?).

The test code work's without problems with OpenMQ, but I'd prefer using the
nice Pure Master/Active ActiveMQ if I can get it running in a *stable*
config ;)

I would highly appreciate any help or suggestions. Maybe my config is wrong or I miss something essential. I've also tried a recent AMQ 5.1 SNAPSHOT
which wasn't better...

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

<!-- MASTER config -->
<beans
 xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans";
 xmlns:amq="http://activemq.org/config/1.0";
 http://activemq.org/config/1.0
http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core.xsd
 http://activemq.apache.org/camel/schema/spring
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/schema/spring/camel-spring.xsd">

 <bean
class = "org .springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer"/ >
 <broker xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0"; brokerName="master"
dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/data">
   <destinationPolicy>
     <policyMap>
       <policyEntries>
         <policyEntry topic="FOO.>" producerFlowControl="false"
memoryLimit="1mb">
           <dispatchPolicy>
             <strictOrderDispatchPolicy/>
           </dispatchPolicy>
           <subscriptionRecoveryPolicy>
             <lastImageSubscriptionRecoveryPolicy/>
           </subscriptionRecoveryPolicy>
         </policyEntry>
       </policyEntries>
     </policyMap>
   </destinationPolicy>

   <transportConnectors>
      <transportConnector name="openwire"
uri="tcp://tbuckel-desktop:7778" />
   </transportConnectors>

   <networkConnectors/>

   <managementContext>
      <managementContext connectorPort="1100"
jmxDomainName="org.apache.activemq"/>
   </managementContext>

 </broker>

 <commandAgent xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0"/>

 <jetty xmlns="http://mortbay.com/schemas/jetty/1.0">
   <connectors>
     <nioConnector port="8161" />
   </connectors>

   <handlers>
     <webAppContext contextPath="/admin"
resourceBase="${activemq.base}/webapps/admin" logUrlOnStart="true" / >
   </handlers>
 </jetty>
</beans>

<!-- SLAVE config -->
<beans
 xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans";
 xmlns:amq="http://activemq.org/config/1.0";
 http://activemq.org/config/1.0
http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core.xsd
 http://activemq.apache.org/camel/schema/spring
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/schema/spring/camel-spring.xsd">

 <bean
class = "org .springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer"/ >

 <broker xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0"; brokerName="slave"
dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/data-slave"
         masterConnectorURI="tcp://tbuckel-desktop:7778">

   <destinationPolicy>
     <policyMap>
       <policyEntries>
         <policyEntry topic="FOO.>" producerFlowControl="false"
memoryLimit="1mb">
           <dispatchPolicy>
             <strictOrderDispatchPolicy/>
           </dispatchPolicy>