You can think of the peer connector as a superset of the VM connector. The
peer connector uses the VM connector to launch and connect to an 'embedded'
broker, but it also configures the embedded broker to establish network
connectors to other embedded brokers within the LAN subnet that have the
same peer group name. So for your fault-tolerance requirement I don't think
that a 'peer' connector is what you're looking for. Consider using the
'failover' connector - with randomization turned off - so that if your
master 'standalone' broker fails your Spring client can failover to the
slave broker. For example,

<!-- Tell the JMS template how to connect to the broker -->
  <bean id="connectionFactory"
    <property name="brokerURL"

value="failover:(tcp://masterhost:61616,tcp://slavehost:61616)?randomize=false"/>

  </bean>

Joe
Goto www.ttmsolutions.com for a free ActiveMQ user guide