I need to integrate functionality to an existing system so that operators can
manually reprocess messages from a dead letter queue, that is to put them
back into the original queue.

I use the QueueViewMBean as shown below. The message is put back to the
original queue and processed by the ActiveMQ server as it should, but if the
message fails again, the message disappears. When I restart the server the
message appears in the DLQ as it should.

Here's the code (I used the Web Monitor as base):
QueueViewMBean queue = broker.getQueue(dlq);
queue.moveMessageTo(mapMessage.getJMSMessageID(),
mapMessage.originalDestination());

Is there something in the message that should be reset to avoid confusing
the reprocessing?

Both client and server uses ActiveMQ 5.1

cheers,
Sakke