Thanks for your reply Gary.

We are using durable subscriptions...any messages which have not yet been
delivered will arrive once the consumers start again.

The problem seems to be that any messages which have been prefetched but not
handled are not rolled back if the consumer terminates, but the "reads" are
committed and so never redelivered.

That last link was useful, however, as it shows how I can change the
prefetch value, which should at least reduce the number of messages
lost...it's not a system where a few messages between the cracks
occasionally is the end of the world. ;)