I'm interested in a variation of this for load balancing. Assume the volume
of data coming from publishers is very large, and you need N brokers (think
N is 10 or more). Furthermore, you want N+1 or N+2 redundancy so that if any
1 or 2 brokers die, there is sufficient capacity to continue handling all of
the traffic (after affected publishers reconnect). The brokers might all be
behind a hardware load balancer (e.g. F5 or NetScaler) so that all
publishers connect via a virtual IP.

Now, from the consumer side, we also have many consumers. Each consumer only
subscribes to a subset of the available topics, and we arrange via design of
our topics such that one consumer can always keep up with the volume of data
published on one topic. But the consumer must connect to every broker.

So, we need a fan-in variation of a failover transport that connects to
every broker and actively consumes data from all brokers. If any broker
disconnects, the consumer would use the exponential backoff reconnect logic
to reconnect when the broker becomes available.

So, the backup=true option isn't helpful. Instead, we want something like
"fan_in=true".

It's not hard to build this kind of fan in logic on top of the failover
transport, but it would be cool if the failover transport was capable of
doing fan in directly.