It appears that my problem was due to the cert and keystores supplied with my
5.1.0 installation. When I generated my keystore I did not specify a CN.
However there was a CN in the keystore with the value "localhost" from the
installation. I guess the broker just used the first cert under the alias
"broker" which would have been the older, and expired CN of "localhost".

Removing conf/broker.ks and re-generating it along with exporting a cert
made things work perfectly.

On Mac OS X I also chose to install the cert system wide using the command:

sudo keytool -import -alias broker -keystore
/Library/Java/Home/lib/security/cacerts -file
/Applications/apache-activemq-5.1.0/conf/broker.cert

The only downside with this approach is that system upgrades could
potentially override the certs.

BTW: it'd be nice to have the ActiveMQ wiki updated in respect of SSL -
perhaps a mention to remove the existing keystore first would be useful. :-)