I tried keepAlive=true and found something interesting.
I have ActiveMQ in 2 separate Windows VM's.
Basically, I am trying to simulate breaking the connection between the two
ActiveMQ's but each continuing to operate, independently, re-discovering and
re-connecting to each other when the network connection is restored.
On one VM, I have a free firewall installed which allows me to deny the java
VM access to the network.
I did this.
ActiveMQ had been communicating, quite nicely between themselves, using auto
discovery. Upon denial of access, things seemed to disconnect ok.
When I re-enabled access, they refused to talk to each other, with constant
connection failure and re-tries, with a repeat cycle of around every 10
seconds.
I restarted both instances to get things back on an even keel.
Simply stopping and re-starting ActiveMQ is fine, it's the abrupt failure
scenario which appears to be the problem.
Additionally, I am not entirely sure that the the firewall stops the
multicast broadcasts, so I think the broadcasts are being received but the
connections are failing. At least that is how I am interpreting the
output/logs.
I need to do some more testing on this, including some WireShark monitoring.

...Lyall