We've run into this hanging problem as well, but weren't able to isolate this
in our code enough to create a test that makes this happen.  Thanks for
doing this!

After looking through the archives, we tried setting
"producerFlowControl=false", which fixed the problem.  Unfortunately, we've
run into another (possibly related, but I can't tell at this point) problem
where the broker drops the receiver's connection, and the next time the
receiver tries to execute some protocol negotiations between it and the
broker, the receiver gets a Broken Pipe message.

This is in ActiveMQ-CPP:

decaf::net::SocketOutputStream::write - Broken pipe
        FILE: decaf/net/SocketOutputStream.cpp, LINE: 100
        FILE: decaf/io/BufferedOutputStream.cpp, LINE: 118
        FILE: ./decaf/io/FilterOutputStream.h, LINE: 191
        FILE: activemq/connector/openwire/OpenWireCommandWriter.cpp, LINE: 78
        FILE: activemq/transport/IOTransport.cpp, LINE: 94
        FILE: activemq/transport/filters/ResponseCorrelator.cpp, LINE: 62
        FILE: activemq/connector/openwire/OpenWireFormatNegotiator.cpp, LINE: 78
        FILE: activemq/connector/openwire/OpenWireConnector.cpp, LINE: 1497
        FILE: activemq/connector/openwire/OpenWireConnector.cpp, LINE: 921
        FILE: activemq/core/ActiveMQConsumer.cpp, LINE: 460
        FILE: activemq/core/ActiveMQConsumer.cpp, LINE: 414
        FILE: activemq/core/ActiveMQConsumer.cpp, LINE: 288

At this point we're trying to isolate what's happening to reproduce this in
a test case.

The reason I bring this up is that if you try turning
producerFlowControl=false, you might run into what we did.