Hi Mark,
There is a memory leak solved in the 5.3.1 branch (
AMQ-2448<https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2448> )
that occurs when using network of brokers.
It doesn't seem it's exactly your test case, as the two brokers are
apparently up during your test.
Maybe you give a try to the 5.3.1 trunk version and check if you still have
the memory leak.

If this doesn't solve your problem, a code sample reproducing the memory
leak would be useful.
Thank you very much,
Seb