Thanks for the pointer. I definitely wasn't setting duplex and it sounds like
I need it. This is my new config (duplex just added). I've bounced both
brokers but it appears I'm still seeing the same problem.

<beans
  xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans";
  xmlns:amq="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core";
  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core
http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core/activemq-core.xsd
  http://activemq.apache.org/camel/schema/spring
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/schema/spring/camel-spring.xsd";>

    <broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core";
            brokerName="Broker"
            persistent="false">

        <!-- Use the following to configure how ActiveMQ is exposed in JMX
-->
        <managementContext>
            <managementContext createConnector="false"/>
        </managementContext>

        <!-- The store and forward broker networks ActiveMQ will listen to
-->
        <networkConnectors>
            <networkConnector name="pods"
uri="static://(tcp://activemq1:61616,tcp://activemq2:61616)" duplex="true"/>
        </networkConnectors>

        <transportConnectors>
            <transportConnector name="openwire" uri="tcp://localhost:61616"
discoveryUri="multicast://default"/>
        </transportConnectors>
        <plugins>
            <loggingBrokerPlugin/>