When using a shared file system master/server activemq configuration and client acknoledgements we run into a problem when our clients fail over to a new server. The problem is that the new server does not appear to have any knowledge of pending messages that the old server had dispatched to clients. Consequently all of these pending messages get dispatched a second
time even though the clients had acknowledged them.

I've filed this as a bug here: https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2627

which contains a reproducer using activemq-cpp. I'm posting here in the hopes that someone can confirm that they believe this something that is suppose to be supported and/or if anyone knows of any possible work arounds.

Any advice is appreciated.