Hello,

It looks to me like ActiveMQ uses a byte to hold the message priority and
treats it as a signed integer. This makes the range -127 to +128.
According to page 34, section 3.4.10 of the JMS spec, priorities are in
the range 0 to 9.

I have also found that IBMs MQSeries, which offers a JMS facility for C++
users called XMS, allows message priorities in the range 0 to MAXINT.

The IBM product may be doing what it does because the underlying queue
mechanism has supported message priorities for some time and just doesnt
restrict them when coming via the JMS-like interface. But it seems to me
that ActiveMQ should. After all, it should follow the spec....

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is prohibited.

Please refer to
http://www.bnpparibas.co.uk/en/information/legal_information.asp?Code=ECAS-845C5H
  for additional disclosures.