I am in the phase of imagining what using ActiveMQ to design a wrapper around a legacy process would look like, and reading the book, which I have bought. I should say that I am impressed so far with ActiveMQ and the mapping of what it does with what I am trying to do seems very good.

I am trying to understand the relation of persistence to the "network of brokers" concept. In a single standalone broker deployment, it's simple. You either enable persistence of one flavor or another, or you don't.

But what does this look like in the "network of brokers" concept? There is something appealing in this model to my situation, of deploying a server-side application in which each instance has an instance of the broker embedded within it, but what are the consequences in terms of persistence? Would there just be one persistent store, with a suitable backup arrangement?

Please help me untangle the consequences of these two concepts, which are starting to boggle my mind a bit.