networks of brokers in activemq are store and forward. So a persistent
message will only exist on one broker at a time.
If can start on the embedded broker and get forward to a networked
broker if there is demand, In which case it will be removed/consumed
from the embedded broker and sent to the target broker by the network
connector. So from a network of brokers perspective, persistence is
still handled individually by each broker.

--
http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com