2011-04-21 15:03:59,134 | ERROR | Failed to start ActiveMQ JMS Message
Broker. Reason: java.io.IOException: Detected missing/corrupt journal files.
73 messages affected. | org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService | main
java.io.IOException: Detected missing/corrupt journal files. 73 messages
affected.
        at
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase.recoverIndex(MessageDatabase.java:658)

[ etc ]

I believe this was caused due to the numerous "stale log file" problems that
were resolved in 5.5. However, there being plenty of logs still left over
with ages that pre-date the oldest possible message, I decided to remove
those I knew to be stale.

I restarted and had the above exception. Now, I read through
http://activemq.apache.org/kahadb.html and decided to try
ignoreMissingJournalfiles="true" which started the broker. I then removed
the config entry and restarted. This time it fired up fine.

For future reference is this "correct" to get a broker back up and running
again? If so I'll add this to the kahadb page.

James