You could check for ACTIVEMQ_HOME variable on the system or alternately look
for activemq.exe on Path.
In case user has just UnZipped ActiveMQ, it may not be possible to detect
installation.

Anyway, if user has modified default settings (like connector port) it'll
anyway be difficult for you to use that in your app.

My suggestion would be to install ActiveMQ using custom (non-default) ports
EVERYTIME. This way you won't have clashes with user installed AMQ.

Regards,
Padmarag