Is your issue that certain consumers become too slow?  If so, you can always
set the JMSXGroupSeq header to −1 to force a new consumer (maybe set this
periodically or after a certain number of messages)...

here is a good article that discusses this a bit...

http://scottcranton.blogspot.com/2010/09/activemq-message-groups.html

Either way, I'd think this could be a feature of the message groups.
Basically let you specify a frequency (either elapsed time or message count)
to force a new consumer for a group.  Would serve to better randomize the
load across consumers to protect against slow consumers, etc...