@dan,
Are you using persistent messages?

If yes, typically dispatching is faster than persisting messages and
when the consumers are fast we can by pass storing and syncing to disk
if the consumer acks before the disk write has started. As a result,
through put can be very high.

When we persist, the producer typically waits for the disk sync. Using
alwaysSendAsync=true avoids that.

You should use the default store cursor, which will just stop caching
messages when its memory limit is reached.

Note, that producer flow control false does not stop memory limits, it
just moves the wait to the broker rather than the producer (client) so
watch out for log messages that indicate a producer is waiting for
space.

If you are using non persistent messages, ensure that the temp store
limit is not being reached.