As I require persistence on the messages, I configured the embedded
broker to use the MemoryPersistenceAdapter.
This allows me to set the persistent flag which I presume will be
carried forward into my remote broker which really will persist the
message.
My network connector using the following URI:
static:(failover:(nio://localhost:61616)?trackMessages=true) so I
shouldn't lose any messages from the embedded to the remote broker.
I do realise that a failure of the process with the embedded broker
will lose any in-flight messages that haven't made it to the remote
broker, but for my application that risk is acceptable.
Let me know if that doesn't do what I expect.

Thanks for the help.
Joe