Hi

The symptoms of our configuration got more and more weird. We use currently
topics where we have up to 5 producers and about the same number of
consumers, mostly spread over the two boxes having a broker each. We did a
run overnight and it ended with one broker falling over with not enough
memory (our fault)) but the other one is in a very inconsistent state. It
doesn't accept incoming connections from the other box (the clients are
configured to try first the local then the other broker) and I can see very
high numbers of subscribers on one of the topics (a value of up to 4 would
make sense but JMX currently shows 314 - sometimes the value goes up to
above 3000 for a second). the clients on the remote box loop in message
like:

INFO [02 Feb 2012 21:33:36,855]: Successfully reconnected to
tcp://otherbox:61616
WARN [02 Feb 2012 21:33:36,855]: Transport (otherbox/10.100.88.17:61616)
failed to tcp://kd-sage3:61616 , attempting to automatically reconnect due
to: java.net.SocketException: Socket closed

On the broker side I got:

2012-02-02 21:33:36,858 | INFO  | Transport failed: java.io.EOFException |
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.Transport | ActiveMQ
Transport: tcp:///10.100.88.16:36006
2012-02-02 21:33:36,914 | INFO  | Transport failed:
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe |
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.Transport | Async Exception
Handler

We use a Spring connection factory to connect, which is set to reconnect
automatically if connection is lost:

    @Bean
    public CachingConnectionFactory cachingConnectionFactory() {
        CachingConnectionFactory factory = new CachingConnectionFactory();
        factory.setReconnectOnException(true);
        factory.setTargetConnectionFactory(jmsConnectionFactory());
        return factory;
    }

    @Bean
    public ActiveMQConnectionFactory jmsConnectionFactory() {
        ActiveMQConnectionFactory factory = new ActiveMQConnectionFactory();

factory.setBrokerURL("failover:(tcp://localhost:61616,tcp://otherbox:61616)?randomize=false");
        return factory;
    }

The only solution we found was to restart the broker, but as this stuff is
planned to go into production we want to serve them a configuration that
can have the broker running for months without need to interfere with it.

Cheers,
Kai