Will try to be more clear..
- All the 500+ messages first get put into the queue.
- From then on, no more messages are being put into this queue.
- Now, a QueueBrowser tries to read all the messages from the queue.
- The QueueBrowser only gets 239 messages.
- I have an external broker running.

I have written the failing TestCase. As I can see now, the, only difference
between the TestCase that you had linked, and mine is the use of an external
broker. In my case, an external broker is used. Also, noticed that, even
ActiveMQ web console doesn't show all 500 messages.(The web console shows
the "No of pending messages" as 500. But, on drilling down to the queue
details, it definitely does not list 500 messages). Here is the link to the
failing test -  http://pastebin.com/sNFxWTxD <http://pastebin.com/sNFxWTxD>