An application will exit when no more non-daemon threads exist.  I don't
know whether the failover thread is a daemon or non-daemon thread, but you
could attach a debugger to your producer and connect to the iterate()
method of the Task created in
FailoverTransport.FailoverTransport.FailoverTransport().  (Yes, that name
is correct; the class FailoverTransport has an inner class also named
FailoverTransport, and the Task is created in its constructor.  I don't
know why the inner class was given the same name as its containing class.)
When you hit your breakpoint, check if the currentThread's isDaemon()
method and you'll know.