For troubleshooting purposes, I'd recommend you use the web console or a
JMX viewer to find out which queues have unconsumed messages and no
consumers, and browse the messages on each such queue via the web console.
Browsing should (I think) run the messages through the expiration logic, so
once you've browsed all of the queues, you should have expired any old
messages.  Then go to the KahaDB data directory and see if some of the
oldest files got deleted; if they did, then the problem is simply that you
need a mechanism for forcing expiration checks on messages when there's no
consumer.  If not, then there's something else going on.

While you're browsing the messages, look at the oldest one on each queue
and confirm that it's got an expiration date header set; if some of your
publishers aren't setting that header, then you need to address that issue
first.

Tim