Anuj and Martyn, were your question and your answer about ActiveMQ 5.x or
Artemis? I think the question was about 5.x and Martyn's answer was about
Artemis. If so, see a 5.x response below.

I don't believe that there is any reason other than the potential for
message loss that you described (correctly) in #2 that would make the page
you linked to in #1 say that you need to use non-journaled JDBC. If your
use case can support the loss of messages since the last checkpoint, I
expect that you can make it work. If you choose to pursue it, you may want
to use pluggable storage lockers (
http://activemq.apache.org/pluggable-storage-lockers.html) for master
elections if whatever is built into the journaled JDBC code doesn't work; I
have no idea how locks would interact with journaling.

Tim