1) Those JARs should all be compatible with one another, since they're all
packaged as part of the ActiveMQ installation bundle. I was trying to see
if maybe you'd added your own Spring JARs to the classpath in addition to
the ones from ActiveMQ's lib directory, but that's clearly not the case,
and I'm sorry I missed the line in your second post where you said it was a
clean install.

2) I meant "clean install" not in the Maven (or Gradle) sense but just in
the sense of "did you add additional JARs by hand (not clean) or did you
just unpack the zip file and edit the config files (clean)?" I was assuming
you followed
http://activemq.apache.org/getting-started.html#GettingStarted-UnixBinaryInstallationUnixBinaryInstallation
when doing your installation, though the other approaches are fine too.

I'd like to try to reproduce this, but my VM needs rebuilding before I can
do that, so it may take till the weekend to give this a try.

In the meantime, did anything actually fail when you did the restart?
Restarting the broker should definitely work without this error, but did it
have any negative effect other than the scary-sounding message showing up
in the logs? I'm just trying to make sure I understand the real-world
impact of the problem.

Thanks,
Tim