Is your workflow process-ack-process-ack-process-ack (one message at a time
immediately followed by acking that one message, in a single thread)? If
so, I'd expect your processing to be slower than if you only acknowledge
every Nth message, though I'm not sure how significant of a performance
impact I'd expect that to be.

Can you describe in more detail what you're actually observing? Are you
slowly but correctly consuming messages (i.e. this is a performance problem
but not a correctness problem)? Or is the problem that messages are not
being acknowledged at all (none, zip, zero), which makes this a correctness
problem? You've described both types of problem in your description, but
any problem is by definition only one or the other, and knowing what the
actual problem is will help us focus on what's actually wrong.

Tim