If you set conduitSubscriptions to true, does the behavior become the
expected behavior? If so, you can read a description of why having it false
would cause this to happen halfway down
http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.html.

You can determine where the duplication occurs by watching the enqueue
counts on each broker when you send a single message. You can see those
counts in the web console or via JMX.

Tim