BTW here is where I am getting stuck:
I was assuming that brokers must somehow learn about consumers on other
brokers. I looked at the code of org.apache.activemq.network.ConduitBridge
and later org.apache.activemq.network.DemandForwardingBridge and it seemed
to me that the means by which the brokers learn about consumers is by
sending and receiving instances of org.apache.activemq.command.ConsumerInfo.
So I put a breakpoint in
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport#doConsume and I log every
instance of ConsumerInfo. But I am only seeing ConsumerInfo's for some
advisory topics and not for the topic which I am sending messages to.
So either I don't have the tracing setup right or there is some other
channel via which brokers exchange information about consumers.