The topic deletion URL you found sounds like it should work, though it's
not something I've ever played with. Does it work as expected for you?

The command line tools have a way to purge messages from a destination (see
the purge task at the bottom of
http://activemq.apache.org/activemq-command-line-tools-reference.html), but
I've not used it so I can't say for sure that it allows purging of both
queues and topics. Even if it allows purging of topics, you'd still need to
provide a means to invoke it remotely (i.e. write your own simple REST
webapp and run it on the broker host), so simply deleting the topic via
REST sounds like the better option to me.

Tim