Re: In our scenario we want something that independently forwards messages
between queues in different brokers...Here's an illustration...

To me it looks like your illustration is depicting a scenario where
messages are exchanged between Alice and Bob.  That's exactly the kind of
functionality that the router provides, and it can do so without requiring
a broker.

I'm guessing that there's something else in your use-case that requires a
broker otherwise you would already be using the router.  Unfortunately that
particular details remains obscured.

Re: are there any rough perf metrics for Core vs JMS bridges?

I'm not aware of any metrics.  What's your throughput and latency goals?
Have you performed any benchmarks to know that a JMS bridge doesn't meet
your goal(s)?

Re: ...I was wondering how difficult it would be to build a custom Core ->
AMQP bridge...

Why would you need to build a custom bridge?  Camel, as I have already
suggested, has a bridge that you could use.

Re: Are there any backwards-compatibility guarantees for the Core protocol?

There's always the potential for bugs, but backwards compatibility is a
priority.

Justin