I tried to set the permission of the folder so that the user who started the
application has full control, and the issue persisted.

One more observation:
(1) let instance #1 create all 10000 messages, the paging folder was created
with a paging file
(2) both instance #1 and instance#2 were processing the messages, and shut
down instance #1 in the middle
(3) instance #2 continued to process the messages until no more messages
were available to instance #2.
(4) restart instance #1 to process all messages in paging file. Instance #1
was not able to delete the paging file

If I shut down instance #2 before restarting instance #1, the paging file
will be accessed by instance #1 and it will be deleted after message
processing was completed. So it looks like instance #2 was accessing the
paging file, but just did not process the message.