If you send just 1 message (still via JMeter) and then graceful shut down
broker1, is that message visible in broker2? What about if you send 10, or
100?

What is the behavior if you send 500 messages but with a sleep (200 ms,
let's say) between each one? Does the broker still run out of memory? And
if so, how many messages are visible on broker2 compared to the number set
to broker1 before it does?

Tim