my...@mware.ca writes:
It looks to me like AOX isn't handling it properly.

Abhijit told me the logfile isn't accurate; the ? displayed is really some other character.

What do you consider proper handling of an SMTP command such as this?

  MAIL FROM:<gör...@example.com>

... My softbounces are off, I don't see how a temporary vs. permanent error would change anything. What's getting stuck in my queue are basically backscatter bounces, which is a bit annoying because I do recipient address validation against AOX's schema in Postfix... so the target address exists, but AOX incorrectly rejects the message.

aox rejects it because the SENDER's address is not syntactically valid, and the sender has to be stored in the database.

This is fairly safe. The argument (see http://aox.org/badmail/ for a version with examples) is that so long as our parser accepts and handles more addresses than Outlook does, we won't have trouble with real senders. Real senders may not use perfectly correct syntax, but they make it good enough for Microsoft.

This means legit mail could be being lost... I think it just happens that I've been seeing this with spam.

In short, AOX should be delivering these messages.

aox can't deliver mail with syntactically incorrect addresses. They won't fit in the database. So what we'll need is a message (for which delivery is desired) with the incorrect address, so we can find an algorithm to identify the particular error used in the address and a way to turn it into a valid address.

Arnt