Jorg Heymans wrote:

Say i write my own transformer (or serializer, or generator doesn't matter),
is it true then that a new instance of my custom class is created each time
it is executed in a pipeline? (uncached)

My code relies on a few instance variables (simple ones like Logger but also
more crucial ones like StringBuffers for SAX parsing ), I'ld really hate to
find out now that instance variables aren't thread safe in cocoon.

AFAIU, you need to make your component implement ThreadSafe for it to be shared across threads. The default is that a new component is created for each invocation.

Regards, Upayavira