> On October 11, 2005 06:16 am, Jason Johnston wrote:
>> Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'm using a secondary data-driven XSLT to provide annotations for my
>> > document pages (thanks, Conal) but when the annotations are not
>> present,
>> > it throws an exception which kills the pipeline.
>> >
>> > Now, I thought the best way to deal with that would be to handle the
>> > exception in the annotation pipeline, detect when the file is missing
>> and
>> > simply return an ID transform instead of one that does something.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, I can't get it to work at all. I simply can't get the
>> > "identity.xslt" to ever get returned! I would be very appreciative of
>> any
>> > advice you guys can give.
>>
>> I found the following item in the release notes for 2.1.7:
>> > *) Implemented error handling for the internal requests. Error
>> handling
>> > for the \ internal requests configured using when attribute on the
>> > handle-errors element. \ Supported values are: external: This error
>> > handler should be used only on external \ requests (default);
>> internal:
>> > This error handler should be used only on internal \ requests; always:
>> > This error handler can be used for all requests. Currently, if \
>> internal
>> > error handling is enabled, only inner most error handler will be used
>> for
>> > \ errors which happened during internal pipeline processing. [VG]
>>
>> Does that help?
>>

> Hmm, not really. Does this imply that I need either specify one or the
> other?
> Without either, I expected it to work either way.

The description seems clear enough: by default handle-errors only works on
external requests; you can override this with when="internal" or
when="always" as appropriate for your particular case.

That said, I haven't used this feature myself, so I don't actually know
that this will work as described.  You should give it a try and see.  You
can also try searching the dev mailing list, to see if there was
discussion regarding this feature on the list, which might give more
details.